I've been travelling alone for a bit over two weeks now and although it's not that long, I've been driving a looooooooot and had plenty of time to contemplate life, the universe and everything (thanks for the line Mr Adams), and I wanted to write a bit about travelling solo.

At first I was nervous, it's kinda scary to head out on your own to a place where you don't know anyone and have no plans, but at the same time it's really good because it puts you in a position where you're forced to meet new people and make friends.

The second part to it is Couchsurfing, a website that has changed the way I travel and has made this trip, and my life, so much better.

I don't want to clog up the home page so click read more if you're interested, if not, then, well, that's okay... I guess. Enter sad smiley =(



I guess for most people hitting the road by themselves, they camp and they stay at hostels, both of which are good ways to meet people and find entertainment. I've certainly done both and I think they both have a place on any road trip. Hostels are a great place to recover from whatever it is you've been doing, whether it's party at a music festival, hit the town with new friends or hike or camp or whatever, you know what to expect - a bed, a shower and a kitchen, the luxuries of home.

Camping is another cup of tea, you get to see more of the country-side and for the most part you meet fascinating people: the mountain-folk who run the sites, the retired Navy seal and his wife who are touring in their RV, the research scientists who headed out from the city because they wanted to give camping a shot. And it's fun, people come and go and you make new friends every day.

But for me, Couchsurfing is the centre of it all, it's the meat of the travel sandwich. You get to become a part of a person's life for however long you stay with them, and you get to see the city through their eyes. Their friends become your friends while it's not permanent - you'll move on, like any good traveller does - the best hosts stay with you, and leave you with a memorable experience of that place. Then there's the fact that it's free accommodation too, and that never hurts.

For a person travelling solo there's nothing better than coming to a place, making a whole new group of friends and feeling a part of something, it's what makes travelling so great.

Maybe the best thing about it though is that people are so giving, whether it's buying you dinner, giving you a hat or taking time out of their day to show you around, they always want you to leave with a positive experience of their city.

Travelling alone can be hard, there are always nights where you're by yourself, feeling lonely and alone in a foreign place, but at the same time you learn to be comfortable being alone and - to use a really poor figure of speech - to enjoy your own company.

I've found that whenever I explain to people what I'm doing - a three month road trip up the west coast - they want to help me along, give me tips and in a way share my adventure. That positivity, the generous and giving spirit that I've found all along the way so far, is something I never expected to find in the U.S and it's blown my mind.

Life is good kiddies, life is good.